Haven Realty's Blog
Clogged drains are one of the common preventable plumbing issues that occur in the home. Places that are more vulnerable to this problem are the toilet, showers, and the sink. In most cases, drain blockage is because of the accumulation of debris. You might not be able to fix the issue yourself if you had neglected the problem for a long time. Therefore, quick intervention is one way to get it fixed without calling for help. A clogged drain can cause remarkable structural damage because of the build-up of overflow and backups. Apart from that, it can lead to the development of mildew and mold in the home. Your best strategy against this plumbing problem is to embark on preventive drain maintenance.
What causes clogged drains?
Drain blockage is because of prolonged negligence. For instance, the kitchen sink gets blocked when food particles and grease accumulate in the drainpipe until a point where it obstructs the movement of water. The toilet is another part of the house that gets clogged. When you flush the items that are not ideal for flushing, the toilet gets blocked. Such things are paper, towel, and other similar materials. Also, the sink of bathtubs and bathroom can get blocked by hair, toothpaste, and other everyday products used in the bathroom. You can prevent clogging by making sure you that you follow the drain maintenance tips below:
- Avoid combing your hair or styling over the drain as the hair blocks the pipes.
- Grease can accumulate in the drainpipe, so do not wash it down the kitchen sink. The best way to dispose of used oil is to pour it into a dedicated container for disposal.
- Soap scum, hair, food, oils, grease, and other debris can clog the pipe, therefore make sure you don’t introduce any of them into your kitchen sink.
- Cold water can displace stuck food particle, so it is advisable to run chilled water whenever you are making use of a garbage disposal
- Never wash coffee ground down the drain; you should throw them away.
- Do not dispose of chemicals through the drain; look for other ways to eliminate them.
- An excellent way to keep hair from entering the pipe is by covering your bathtub and bathroom sink.
- A good preventive maintenance habit is to pour boiling water down all the drains once every month. By going this, you will dislodge debris.
You can avoid clogged drains and all its attendant effects if you follow all the preventive measures mentioned above. However, if you still experience a clogged drain after taking all these precautions, contact your plumber to get it fixed.